1. What facilities do the huts have?
The huts are outfitted with a basic table and benches; feel free to bring your own outdoor chairs or tables, etc. Hammock hooks are available in some huts. Restrooms are located near to each recreational area.
2. Is alcohol permitted on the compound?
Alcohol is not sold at La Vega Estate but you may bring for your own personal use. Please note that inappropriate behaviour due to the excessive consumption of alcohol is unacceptable and offending patrons will be asked to leave.
3. Is there food available for sale?
Our reception area sells a variety of soft drinks and snacks (cookies, chocolates, nuts, etc.). On public holidays and some weekends, a small assortment of fast food such as fried chicken, fried wantons, phulorie, hamburgers and hot dogs is also available. Please call before for menu and availability.
4. Is there a shower available?
There are several restrooms and one is equipped with an overhead tap but there are no showers available.
5. Does La Vega have a Group Rate for large parties of visitors?
Group rates are available for groups of 150 or more persons, please refer to our
Admissions page for more information.
6. Can we play music?
The playing of music is strictly prohibited, unless prior approval for special occasions is given in writing prior to the event. Our visitors come here to enjoy a ‘natural’, peaceful, relaxing time so please respect this.
7. Do the huts have electricity?
Electricity is available in several huts and arrangements can be made to run electricity in other areas by special request.
8. Are guided tours available?
Guided tours of La Vega Estate are available for groups of 10+ persons. Tours include the green houses and orchards. Bookings should be made at least one week in advance.
9. Can I bring my own fishing rods?
Bamboo rods fitted with nylon line and corks are provided for fishing, the use of additional hooks, other rods, nets or fish pots is strictly prohibited.
10. Do you have bathing facilities?
The lakes at La Vega Estate are solely for pedal boating and fishing; bathing or swimming is not permitted. There are NO LIFE GUARDS on duty except on public holidays and special occasions.
11. Can I overnight?
“Most High”, our two storey thatched hut is now available for 1 or 2 night stays. Please visit the
Most High page for a description of the facilities and more information on bookings.
LA VEGA ESTATE POLICIES
La Vega Estate’s Nature Park is a recreational park and wild life sanctuary. Our objective is to provide a secure and pleasant environment for fun, relaxation and appreciation of nature. To ensure your safety and enjoyment, please observe the following:
- Children must be supervised by a responsible adult at all times.
- Take note of caution and warning signs.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Drivers must observe the speed limit and give way to all pedestrians.
- Bins are provided for your litter, help us to keep La Vega beautiful.
- Park is designated areas only. Do not park under trees.
- Please do not feed the peacocks.
La Vega Estate does not permit the following:
- Loud music or amplified sound systems.
- Use of any personal fishing equipment other than the rod supplied by La Vega.
- The harm or removal of any animal.
- Cutting, removing or damaging of trees and plants.
- The picking or removal of fruits and flowers.
- Trapping, hunting or shooting.
- Removal of crayfish from their habitats.
- Swimming or bathing in the rivers, ponds or lakes.
- Wilful destruction of the property.
- Obscene language or disorderly behaviour.
- Lighting of fires.
Entry to the Nature Park closes at 4:00pm.
Management reserves the right to refuse admission to the facility or expel persons conducting themselves in an inappropriate manner, disturbing other guests or not complying with the rules. Admission fees will not be refunded.
FISHING AT LA VEGA
The lakes and ponds at La Vega are stocked with mainly Tilapia. Our fishes are fed up to 100lbs of food every day so they are productive and plentiful. Happy fishing!
Cost of rod rental (bamboo rod with barbless hook) - $30.00 each. THE USE OF PERSONAL FISHING EQUIPMENT IS PROHIBITED.
Barbless hooks are supplied for general safety and in order to minimize injuries caused to the fish that are released back into the ponds.
If you prefer a regular hook, these are also available but please note that you are required to keep all fish caught this way.
FISH ALLOWANCE - The fishing allowance per rod rental is 2lbs. of fish or 1 fresh water lobster. Additional fish caught may be purchased at $8.00 per lb. and lobsters at $30.00 per lb. All fish in excess of the 2lb. limit must be declared and paid for at the rod return counter.
Please observe the following precautions while fishing:
- Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Shoes must be worn at all times.
- No entering, standing or wading in the water.
- Exercise caution on the banks and surrounding areas as they may be slippery.
- Water levels vary in different areas and can reach depths of 25’. Think water safety!
- Spread out when fishing and take care when casting your line to avoid hooking any one nearby.
Thank you for your co-operation.